Sweet and buttery with the fragrance of freshly popped corn. This is a unique ice cream that you will instantly fall in love with. I like to enjoy it while having a movie night at home.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, bring milk and cream to light simmer.
- Remove milk and cream mixture from heat.
- Pop popcorn in microwave and add immediately to milk and cream.
- Add butter seasoning to mixture.
- Set aside and allow flavours to infuse for 1.5 hours.
- Whisk together egg yolks and sugar until pale.
- Strain popcorn mixture through a fine strainer or muslin cloth, being sure to squeeze out all the liquid.
- In saucepan whisk together egg yolk mixture with milk and cream mixture.
- Cook mixture on a low heat string constantly until a custard forms and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove custard from heat and allow to cool.
- Place custard in fridge until cold.
Using an ice-cream machine:
- Place mixture into ice-cream machine.
- Churn for 35-40 minutes or until frozen.
- Remove and freeze until serving.
Using the freezer method:
- Place mixture into an airtight container and place in freezer.
- Every hour for the first three hours, mix thoroughly with a spoon.