Food Club August 2016
Summer decided to appear at long last in July, so we hope you took advantage of picnics and barbecues and tried some of the new foods and treats available in both supermarkets and greengrocers. I hope most of you enjoy the sporting spectaculars in store this month – June and July were full of tennis and football, but there is more to come – Rio Olympics, more tennis at the US Open and golf at the Ryder Cup.
I have another treat for you this month! The next in the series of my ‘Live to Eat’ books will be published in time for the Christmas holiday season, but I don’t want you to wait that long! I am giving you a ‘taster’ recipe in this newsletter, but the rest is still under wraps. I will tell you though – the title is ‘Pots, Pickles & Bubbles’. Intrigued? Good, that’s what I want!
Here is the Chicken Liver Paté Recipe – delicious served with crusty bread or Melba toasts.
Chicken Liver Pate
- 225g/8oz butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 450g/1lb chicken livers, trimmed and cut in half
- 1tbsp brandy
- 1tsp mustard powder
- Pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf, to garnish
- 2 tbsp fresh cranberries finally chopped.
- 30g/1oz mushrooms chopped
- Melt 110g/3½oz of the butter in a pan over a medium heat, then add the onion and fry until soft.
- Add the garlic, mushroom and chicken livers and fry the livers until golden-brown.
- Add the brandy and mustard powder and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place the liver mixture and 55g/2oz remaining butter into a food processor and blend until smooth. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Mix through Cranberries.
- Transfer the pâté into a serving ramekin or small dish.
- Melt the remaining butter in a clean pan.
- Skim off the froth and pour the butter over the pâté. Transfer to the fridge to chill.
If you would like more information on the book, which will be published in Kindle, eBook and Paperback, or to pre-order a copy, please leave me a message on www.adampittaway.co.uk/contact and I will get right back to you.
Foodie Visits to make in August
Start Date 5th Aug 2016
End Date 7th Aug 2016
Location West Dean Gardens, West Sussex
Viva Santana, Panama, Jason Lee, Grupo Lokito, Steel Strum, Strictly Come Dancing professional dancers, Joanne Clifton and Giovanni Pernice
West Dean’s Chilli Fiesta is a hot weekend destination as sizzling Cuban, Latin and salsa bands line up to perform at this family-friendly festival of live music, entertainment, cooking demonstrations and food, vintage funfair, fireworks and camping.
Viva Santana (Santana tribute band), Panama, and Jason Lee, as well as the popular Grupo Lokito and Steel Strum. On Sunday join Strictly Come Dancing professional dancers, Joanne Clifton and Giovanni Pernice (Jo & Gio), for a salsa masterclass.
This year Australian born Sarah Wain, West Dean Gardens’ chilli expert, celebrates 25 Years of Glorious Gardening with a brand new, rare white chilli named Streuth!, by growers Simpsons Seeds. Sarah has grown 300 plants available exclusively to buy at Chilli Fiesta.
Pick up cooking tips in the Cookery Theatre with celebrity chefs Rustie Lee, Dean Edwards, Paul Wayne Gregory, Malcolm Riley and Rosemary Moon.
With over 140 stalls, there’s a great variety of quirky gifts on offer. And if it gets too hot to handle? Quench your thirst in one of the six bars, including champagne and cider bars, new for 2016. A vintage funfair, face painting and Punch and Judy shows will entertain youngsters.