The Sour Grape
I was recently asked by one of my cookery contacts if it was possible to use verjuice in an alcoholic cocktail. This got me thinking, I had used verjuice many times in spritzers and mocktails but never in a cocktail. Knowing that verjuice worked very well with citrus flavours I set out to create (maybe the first) verjuice based alcoholic cocktail.
After a weekend of experimenting I came up with The Sour Grape, a sparkling cocktail that has a wonderful light orange flavour but is also not too sweet. Please feel free to try the recipe below and let me know what you think.
- 100mls verjuice
- 1 teaspoon icing sugar
- 30mls vodka
- 30mls Cointreau
- 100mls sparkling water
- Orange zest for garnish
- Add verjuice & icing sugar to a cocktail mixer and stir until combined.
- Add ice to cocktail mixer.
- Add vodka & Cointreau and stir through.
- Strain using cocktail mixer into a cocktail glass.
- Top up with sparkling water.
- Garnish with orange zest.