The added step of preserving the Verjuice fruit compote in jars allows the dried fruit to mature rehydrate and soak up the sweet Verjuice syrup. Enjoy hot or cold it is the perfect topping to any ice-cream or dessert.
Serves: 4 or more portions
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: Approximately 25 minutes
- Roughly chop all the fruit into bite size pieces.
- Fill a heavy bottomed saucepan with water and start on the boil.
- In a separate saucepan combine peppercorns, bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom pods, vanilla extract, caster sugar and Verjuice.
- Slowly bring to boil while stirring making sure all the caster sugar is dissolved.
- Add pears, apples and apricots to liquid and turn down heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add dates and simmer for a further 5 minutes and remove from heat.
- Once the saucepan of water has boiled, carefully using metal tongs place each jar one by one into the boiling water for 1 minute and then remove.
- Wash each jar lid in the boiling water using the tongs for 10 seconds each.
- Scoop the fruit into each jar, compacting the fruit down in the jar.
- Leave about 1cm/½inch from the top and ensure the fruit is covered by syrup.
- Seal the jars tightly with lids.*
- Bring saucepan of water to the boil again.
- Once boiling, place sealed jar in the water using metal tongs for 30 seconds each, this completes the sterilizing of the jars and assists in forming the vacuum.
- Leave jars to cool, keep sealed for at least a week, this allows fruit to mature and soften.
- Serve over ice-cream or your favourite dessert.
- Refrigerate after opening.
* Boiling the jars sterilizes them stopping the formation of bacteria, filling and sealing the jars while hot creates a vacuum maintaining the sterilized environment until opened.